Monday, February 28, 2011

The Oscars

Dammit.  Ok, from here on out, I promise to stop making promises about the next time I'm going post.  After all, actions speak louder than words.

There are a couple things rolling around in the ol' noggin that will likely inspire a random smattering of words, and I'll start with the Oscars, though this is sure to get lost among all the posts submitted by everyone and his/her brother about last night's Oscars.

For me this year was a bit different.  For (1) I've actually seen several of the films nominated for best picture.  And (2), I made a concerted effort to watch the show.  Well actually it wasn't necessarily my concerted effort... my girlfriend's uncle hosted a gathering, which was a lot of fun.

Three of the four I've seen (The Social Network, Black Swan, The King's Speech) I LOVED.  The fourth, Inception, was fine, but with all the pre-release hype I just didn't find myself blown away.  I remember telling Zach that it just tied up too nicely for me.  Anyway, the effects were still great so I have no qualms with it winning those types of awards.

Those first three though.  Man, I think I could watch them again and again and again.  I don't remember the last time I watched multiple movies that came out within a relatively short amount of time that I enjoyed that much.  The 8 or so minutes of the actual King's speech were gripping, and I think it was pretty telling that during the introduction to the best picture category it was used as a back drop.  Obviously there are six movies I didn't see, but I must say I think the right picture won.

Though I must say, at the last minute I found myself rooting for The Social Network.  It was just such an incredible movie that kind of came out of nowhere.  A movie about facebook winning best picture?  How ludicrous!  But it was not unworthy.  The writing is great, the story is great (even if most of it isn't true and was merely played up for Hollywood), and Jesse Eisenberg is quickly becoming one of my favorite people to watch.  I don't buy many movies but I'm pretty certain this one will be gracing my bookshelf.

I still want to see The Kids Are Alright and Toy Story 3.  Erin said Winter's Bone and The Fighter were good, but I don't expect to be seeking those out any time soon.  And I'm not watching James Franco cut his own arm off. 

Speaking of, did he do anything last night?  His biggest contribution seemed to be standing next to a pretty girl while trying not to look high as a kite.  I wonder if while the two of them were rehearsing for this thing it became painfully clear that Anne Hathaway would be carrying the show.  I mean that's what happened, right?  As if she needed another marketable skill.

2 comments:

Zach said...

I saw seven of the ten best picture nominees. I did not see the King's Speech though. I was just disappointed because there were several films that had some edge to them that I really liked and King's Speech strikes me as boring. Obviously I won't totally judge until I've seen it but I can't imagine it being better than True Grit, The Social Network or Black Swan.

As for James Franco, I could imagine plenty of people didn't enjoy his hosting but I loved it. I love James Franco though. He could have just stood up there and smiled awkwardly the whole time (kind of what he actually did) and I would have enjoyed it. Anne Hathaway seems to fall in the King's Speech category for me. Pretty cheesy.

From all the clips of King's Speech, I wonder if they ever use anything but the wide angle camera lens.

Aaron Lehr said...

I guess I know what you mean about "edge", but it was still a great movie. You are the second person recently who told me they weren't excited to see it, so I guess I'm not surprised. I wasn't itching to see it either when I did. For some reason I have no desire to see True Grit. I have no idea if it's an actual "western" but those types of movies don't appeal to me at all.

I'm sorry if your man crush on James Franco blinded you to his pointless hosting. I've read a couple people say Anne Hathaway was annoying, so perhaps I was blind to that. Maybe there's so much cheesy at the Oscars that I didn't mind it.