Monday, March 14, 2011

Division Run Down: NL East

Getting my first real taste of live preseason baseball right now.  Yeah, it's the Yankees and Red Sox and we'll probably see them on national tv another couple hundred times this year, but it's still pretty great.  I approve of ESPN's new Sunday Night Baseball crew.

Is it just me or does Spring Training just feel more right in Florida.  I need those palm trees.  Saturday can't come soon enough.

So, just to remind my reader out there (no, that wasn't a typo), I've been running down the 2011 baseball season division by division.  Rather than go with straight projections I've tried to give it a little more character by simply naming the favorite and the anti-favorite, and then labeling teams based on my inclination to root for them.  And remember, my thoughts and feelings are subject to change based on whatever's convenient at the time.

Friday through Sunday we ran through the American League (you know, cuz we don't want anyone feeling left out).  On to the National League East...

The Favorite: Philadelphia Phillies

Not exciting, I know.  I really wanted to knock the Phillies off their perch (not that I'm bitter or anything), but I simply can't justify it.  Chase Utley's knee is a major question mark though, and on top of that, I just can't imagine their four aces working out exactly as planned.  At least one will have a down year, or will get hurt, or something, and their aging offense won't be enough to pick up the slack.  And I like the Braves (more on them later), but for now I gotta go by the book.

The Neglected: Washington Nationals

Again, the status quo.  What were they doing this offseason exactly?  Did they think they were a few expensive pieces away from contending?  Well with that rotation you need a little more than Jayson Werth and Adam LaRoche.  Ryan Zimmerman is probably the most underrated player in the NL, and I love the guy, but he needs help, and he doesn't have it.  Jordan Zimmermann is an interesting guy to watch, and I honestly think he and Gorzelanny might prove to be their two best starters.  The Nats are probably a few years away, IF Strasburg has a successful recovery and Harper does what he's supposed to, but 2011's not their year.

Most Likable Team: Atlanta Braves

The Braves are often listed near the top in organizational prospect lists (no one's passing the Royals or Rays) and that makes them one of the more exciting teams to watch.  Joining Heyward among this year's starters is first baseman Freddie Freeman, and likely accompanying Tommy Hanson in the rotation is youngster Mike Minor.  Craig Kimbrel and Jonny Venters bring a ton of youth and power to the backend of the bullpen, and who isn't rooting for Chipper Jones at this point in his career (well, maybe a lot of people, I don't really know... but I like him).  And Brian McCann is quietly having a superb start to his still young career.  Throw in a couple likable guys like Derek Lowe and Tim Hudson at the front of the rotation and this is a no brainer.

Least Likable Team: New York Mets

They spend like they have the money (which they do) and know what they're doing (not so much).  This team is so sad that I mostly just feel bad for Mets fans.  There's been enough drama and disappointment over the last few years that I'm just going to opt for brevity on this one, for all our sakes.

Potential story line:

I swear I'm not doing this on purpose, but I gotta go with the team I've yet to mention.  Since their existance I've found the Florida Marlins to be possibly the most facinating team in baseball.  They've won two World Series in less than 20 years and seem to find a way to contend no matter how many stars they trade away or how many young, unproven players they trot out there.  And it looks like they're in position to do it yet again.  They have five very viable young starters, including a bona fide Cy Young candidate in Josh Johnson, potential stars Logan Morrison and Mike Stanton man the outfield, Gabby Sanchez had a very strong rookie campaign, and of course their shortstop is pretty good too.  One thing I find borderline laughable... is that Wes Helms penciled in at third?  Regardless, I won't be surprised when the Marlins are nipping at the heels of the Phillies and Braves come August.

Overall Results: (slightly adjusted...)

Phillies 90
Braves 89 (+1)
Marlins 83
Mets 75
Nationals 70 (+1)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Aaron,

I actually like your blog because it made a little bit of sense to me (saying a lot since I don't follow baseball too closely). :) Julie Morgan

Jessica said...

Aaron,
You have more than one reader!

Jessica said...

Apparently you have not been thinking frequently since you have not posted since March!