Thursday, March 10, 2011

Odds and Ends

Having some friends over for dinner tonight but wanted to get a few thoughts in...

--Just tweeted this, but I'm slowly becoming an Orioles fan (secondary to the Reds of course).  They made a lot of interesting offseason moves, seem to be set at every position, have a young pitching staff, and of course play the role of underdog every year in the loaded AL East.  But most importantly, their new preseason home is our favorite spring training destination.  I think I need to get a hat.

--Currently in the middle of a massive fantasy draft.  It's done through Fangraphs, which has a new fantasy game this year, and luckily there is a pause function.  League has 12 teams and 40 roster spots per team, which if you're counting at home, is a lot of draft.  Hopefully we can get that done on Sunday.  I'm enjoying living out my fantasy of being a GM.

--As awesome as it is that baseball games are being played, I have a hard time getting caught up in spring stats because it's such a small sample size.  And players are facing guys who won't be in the major leagues much of the time.  I know this isn't a new concept.  I'll be glad when I'm down there watching games in person.

--If you haven't caught on yet, I'll be heading to Sarasota, Florida in a week to take in some sun, beach, beer, and baseball.  The plan is to attend at least one Orioles game, a Pirates game, and a Phillies game cuz they have a nice new stadium and amazing cheesesteaks.  As you might imagine, I'm very excited.

That's all for now.  Time to get ready for the Cincy/ND game.

1 comment:

Zach said...

I'm going to answer your tweet here re: the Orioles. Not very good Internet etiquette, I know.

The helmet was one of those plastic play helmets with the little rubber resizable straps inside. It had the cartoony Oriole. It had the different color panels (white in the middle) and was awesome. I think it was a hand-me-down from Justin. I think there's a little bit of an Orioles contingent in WV.

The baseball cap was when they came out with that new lame realistic bird profile logo. For some reason, as a strange little nerd, I thought that was the coolest and had to get one. So I ran out and bought one.